Doggy brags

HAH

I don't post here for obvious reasons BUT on Sunday we were out walking and two little girls, about 5 or 6 years old, came running over asked if they could pat Maxx

Gawd

We sat him down and murmured 'look at that's until he seemed calm. I told the girls that if he licked them it meant he was being friendly. And if he took a hand in his mouth he wouldn't bite, he just liked to hold people's hands that way (creative huh?)

After one initial head thrust he sat there like a little lamb while they parted him and cooed about how soft and gentle he was.

Phew. Good boy Maxx! Much praise and treats given :heart::sun:
Aaaaay, that’s fantastic :celebrate: - what a good boy, Maxx!! And excellent puppy handling (and child managing) on your part too, success all round :star:

Sooo glad I trained a good recall, I didn’t train much else 😬 but definitely did a lot of recall training and every once in awhile something happens that makes me so thankful I did.

I took Axel on the trails this morning and a couple with two dogs was on a trail above us about 100 meters away. Axel was off leash and their dogs were off as well. Out of no where their one large dog charged down the hill in full sprint, didn’t listen at all when his owners called him, and I was getting anxious because I didn’t know what the dogs intentions were. He ran straight up to Axel who by this point had turned around, saw the dog charging and had walked up to it and met him. They both go face to face, stiff as boards, I wait a moment then call Axel who then relaxes his body, turns to me and trots back to our path. Their dog persisted and ran up to him again. Not being aggressive but I think trying to play who is boss. So Axel turns around again and they are again face to face, well faces side by side but facing each other, not sure how to explain that.. Then the dog finally decides ok he’s ok then turns and charges down a different trail, Axel now is like ok we are playing, how exciting! and charges after him. This dogs owners are still screaming ‘gunnnnnneeerrr!!!!’ which was useless, come get your dog instead. And all I had to do was yell one ‘Axe!’ And he stopped instantly, turned around and followed me. While their dog continued in every direction but the owners. So we continued on the path and eventually I stopped hearing them yelling ‘Gunner’ so I’m not sure if they got him back or if they had to chase after him in the opposite direction. But I was very proud of my boy the rest of the walk 💕

1BFBEF43-1622-4FBE-964E-41F8310EF472.jpeg

Vet for Squidge today for a check-up on her rash (which has thankfully gone). She is so excited in the vet's, and the waiting area is seriously tiny. A couple of seats each side, with just enough room for someone to walk between to go out the door, but they will certainly be within reach of an inquisitive nose.

There were three dogs who came and went while we were sat waiting. Two GSDs and what looked like a Vizsla cross. All were in various states of fearfulness and stress: the last of the three sat down outside the door and the woman with her pushed her on her bum into the surgery.
Squidge was super excited - par for the course! - but sat backed up under my chair with her head between my knees, doing chin rests for calmness until it was our time to go in.

She's still a total party animal monster who thinks everyone should love her, but I was very proud how she was able to hold that in and stay relatively calm. Good girl, Squidge!

Excellent, mine isn't quite as good as that! How did you train the spot on recall?
I started at the dog park, around other dogs and other people. I always had yummy treats and would call him once and walk away and he would charge after me and get yummy treats. I did that off leash on walks as well. Part of me wonders if that’s why he doesn’t care to play with other dogs... he loves to give a quick sniff to other dogs while out but that’s it. Humans he will say hi if they approach him but otherwise ignores them.

Works for me as I’m anti social :cwl:

This may well be a one off ! We have this unwritten rule , ball/retriever play in the morning walk but not in the afternoon and Reubs accepts this . He also knows that during his morning walk , at some point I will take his proffered ball and put it in my bag saying Ball Gone , I vary the place and time so that he doesnt get wise to it . He also knows that soon after this , he will be called up and put back on his lead for a bit of heel training whilst we head back to the car . This morning , at the appointed time , I took the ball , his signal that games are over , and blow me , he walked slowly towards me and sat, waiting for his lead to be put on without being asked to ! Shiver me timbers , I wasnt expecting that xx

HAH

Kipper had his 6 month check up and booster vaccinations plus kennel cough vaccine at the vets this morning , and I was so proud of him; he was a little wary of the vet, as she ‘maneuvered’ him a bit - but once she clocked he wasn’t keen she asked him to stand there, hold still etc and used hand touches to get him in position and he was so patient. Particularly impressed with the kennel cough vaccine as we haven’t done much practice on that, but it was enough for him to let her hold his head and give a quick squirt. Hooray, done for another 6 months - and I’m pushing on with cooperative care, the little we’ve done so far is really paying off.